Fox Hunting Life with Horse and Hound

Subscribe RISK FREE for complete access to website PLUS
twice-monthly e-magazine.


  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26

A new permit—the Equine Interstate Event Permit (EIEP)—will allow the transport of horses between states in the Southeast for six-month periods. These permits will serve in lieu of the usual Certificate of Veterinary Inspection which is good for only thirty days.

Dr. Richard Wilkes, State veterinarian with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) said that a database and record-keeping system has been devised, and that the Commonwealth has a Memorandum of Agreement with fourteen states to allow the permits to be issued. Participating states include: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. The state of New York also announced recently that it will also accept the six-month permit.

The EIEP may be obtained form an accredited veterinarian. Applicants must fill out an application, present a health certificate for the horse, a negative Coggins test, and either microchip ID or three-view digital photographs of the horse. Owners will also need to demonstrate their ability to perform a simple physical exam and the ability to take the horse’s temperature. This data is to be recorded on the horse’s travel document with each interstate movement.

Click for more detailed information from the VDACS or call 804-786-2483.

Posted January 27, 2013


# Nancye McCowan 2013-01-31 20:35
I have just obtained this for a horse I will be transporting this weekend - it is a great innovation and long overdue. Kudos to the participating states!

Add comment

Security code

Click Here to Subscribe

Click on any ad to learn more!